“Hello Friends” it’s ur boy Benny…
Let’s hit it with a drive by edition of need to knows, before I fill the YETI up again.
- The Leader: Patrick Reed kept it going and your 36 hole leader is now your 54 hole leader. Today’s photo is the view down Magnolia Lane approaching Augusta National. Reed’s 5 under 67 puts him at 14 under for the tournament, and atop the leader board. The next time Reed makes a trip down Magnolia Lane he’ll be getting ready to tee off with a chance to win his 1st major.
- The Contender: Rory McIlroy was even better today with a blistering 7 under which leaves him at -11 and in sole possession of 2nd place. On his next trip down Magnolia Lane he can think about becoming only the 6th player to complete the career Grand Slam.
- The History: Reed and McIlroy served up an instant classic during the 2016 Ryder Cup at Hazeltine. Reed defeated McIlroy 1-up in the head to head match that was full of “can you top this” shotmaking. Reed isn’t the most liked guy on tour and Rory’s post round comments today leave you wondering if there isn’t some lingering bad blood:
“All the pressure is on him,” McIlroy said. “He went to Augusta State. He’s got a lot of support here. I’m hoping to come in and spoil the party.”
- The Goods: Reed’s round will be remembered for his eagles on 13 and 15. Rory got his eagle at Yellow Jasmine (the 8th hole for the unwashed masses) with a nice assist from the pin. Rickie Fowler had an eagle on the 2nd and Jon Rahm eagled Yellow Jasmine as well. The wet weather softened up the course and the boys took advantage. Lots of red numbers out there today.
- The Field: This Masters is who we thought it was. Besides Reed and McIlroy, the top of the leaderboard is a who’s who of the best players in the world. Fowler is alone in 3rd. Bubba Watson is tied for 6th. Jordan Spieth and Justin Thomas are tied for 9th. Dustin Johnson and Justin Rose are just outside the top 10. We have been telling you that there are a lot of really good golfers and they will all be lurking on Championship Sunday.
- The Weather: Sunday’s Forecast: Partly cloudy with a high of 63 and a low of 46, with winds of 10 mph and a 44% chance of precipitation.
- The Green Jacket: Rory McIlroy. Le Cap told you not to forget who he was and On Sunday he earns his rightful place in history.