‘Sup it’s ur Boy Benny and it’s the freakin’ weekend so let’s have us some fun.
- Day 2 of the Masters is in the books. Today’s photo is of The Hogan Bridge. So named in honor of Ben Hogan who won the 1953 Masters with a then-record score of 274. And like all things Augusta National its a beauty and absolutely dripping with tradition. Fun fact the top is covered in Astro turf.
- With such a beautiful setting, we saw some really disastrous golf today. Let’s see who played well today? Patrick Reed was -6 today, -9 for the tourney and your 36 hole leader. Marc Leishman was 5 under on Friday, 7 under for the tourney and in sole possession of second place as we head in the weekend. JT, DJ, and Jon Rahm also put up some solid red numbers today. Those guys played really well, and thats about it.
- Yesterday’s heroes had a tough go of it out there. Jordan Spieth started the day off with a double and played the first 9 at 4 over. He should sleep well however after rallying with 2 under Golf on the second 9. Tony Finau also finished 2 over for the day. But even he can find some positives as he made his only birdie of the day on 18 and didn’t dislocate any bones celebrating it. And 22 year old Chinese sensation Haotong Li had a particularly rough 4 over leaving him at +1 for the tournament and tied for 23 place.
- Tiger Woods was +3 on the day +4 overall. Don’t want to count him out, but he’s looking a bit more like a nostalgia act than a legit threat.
- Today’s self immolation act was performed by Phil Mickelson who was +7 for the round, +5 for the tournament and just squeaked under the cut line tied for 46th. His doubles on 9 and 13 pretty much finished him off.
- There must have been some nervous New York TV ad execs when both Phil and Tiger were in danger of missing the cut. Bet their Martinis and steak tartare’s taste better tonight knowing that those two mega stars will be sticking around for the weekend.
- Notables missing the cut: 2017 champ Sergio Garcia (still living his best life), 2016 champ Danny Willett, one time Hi-Top fave Shubhankar Sharma, and guy who I almost picked as a sleeper in the Hi-Top 4majors challenge (check them out it’s fun and FREE) but am so glad I didn’t Patrick Cantlay
- Few quick Hi-Top Hat Tips before we get out of here… h/t to Freddie “Boom Boom” Couples, who made the cut at the Masters for the 30th time, tying him with Gary Player for the second most in tournament history. h/t to Hi-Top Hero, real life Hero, and Brockton, MA Firefighter Matt Parziale, sure he didn’t make the cut but he’ll remember the eagle he made on the aptly named Azalea (hole #13 for the uncultured) forever and so will everybody in the real City of Champions. And the final h/t goes to Le Cap himself, he told you that Henrik Stenson was a “guy to watch out for” and the big swede is lurking at 5 under and in sole possession of 3rd place.
- After two gorgeous days Saturday looks like it’s going to get wet and wild. High of 67 degrees, 100% chance of rain, maybe some thunder and winds starting out at 5-10 with a chance to gust to 10-20 mph’s. Captain Obvious told me that these conditions will be a major factor.
- See you on Moving Day, Dilly Dilly!