‘sup it’s ur boy Benny… dropping in with the need to know’s from Round 1 at the Masters so you’re prepared for the water cooler chatter tomorrow.
- Jordan Spieth is your day 1 leader with a 6 under 66. Spieth put his Le Cap endorsed putting skills on display, needing only 10 putts to make his way through the second 9 including 5 straight birdies. This is the 9th time Spieth has had the lead after a round at the Masters. He has played 17 total rounds at Augusta National. Benny is no math whiz, but even I know that’s a pretty good percentage.
- Spieth has a 2 stroke lead over Matt Kuchar and Tony Finau. Finau is the big story here given that he dislocated his ankle and then popped it back in during a bizarre celebration mishap at yesterday’s Par 3 Tourney. Since it was questionable whether Tony would even play today his 68 is definitely #golftough.
- Fan Favorite Tiger Woods shot an opening round 73, putting him 1 over for the day and in 29th. In case you were wondering the past 12 Masters winners have been under par after the first round. The last person to win after an above par opening round? Some guy named Eldrick in 2005.
- Li Haotong fired a 3 under 69 in his first round ever in the Masters. Li, 22, is the first player from China to crack the top 50 in the Official World Golf Ranking. He is tied for 4th with among others Rory McIlroy. That shouldn’t intimidate Li as earlier this year, he dueled Rory at the Dubai Desert Classic and prevailed for his second European Tour victory. That’s notable because that last 2 winners at Dubai went on to win at The Masters (Danny Willett in 2016 and Sergio Garcia in 2017).
- Speaking of Sergio everyone will be talking about his performance at Fire Thorn (that’s the 15th hole for non-members). The Defending Champ put 5 balls in the water. He carded a 13 for the highest ever score on Fire Thorn. But, let us not grieve too long for Sergio, after all this is his reality:
- It was a beautiful sunny day on the course today and more of the same is expected for Friday with a high of 80 degrees and a 0% chance of rain.
- Dilly Dilly